The American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) has released five ‘Grand Challenges documents‘ that advocate research priorities for the future of animal science.
The issues covered are:
- Animal health: Support for animal health research would improve disease resistance, disease prevention and animal productivity.
- Climate change: A better understanding of climate change would keep animal agriculture economically and environmentally sustainable.
- Food safety: Research into food safety can decrease chance of contamination on the farm and in the kitchen.
- Global food security: New research could improve the nutrient content in animal products, increase production efficiency and reduce food wastage along the supply chain.
- Animal well-being: Animal scientists must conduct transparent, proactive research into welfare issues like animal housing and human animal harvest.
More on these ‘Grand Challenges‘ – including the documents behind them.